Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Killing time

It's been a pretty hectic week. I arrived in Denver for Orientation on Saturday, and spent the next 3 days meeting people and wandering the city. Impression was that Denver is awesome. Hurray!

We left Denver on Monday night and flew into LAX. From there it was a 14 hour flight to Auckland which went pretty well. I still don't know what day it is. I've been made to understand that I gained about 5 days and then immediately lost 3 or 4 of them once we landed on the ground. I dunno, somebody explained it to me but they used some sort of mathematical-fucking-formula that just confused the hell out of me. Long division was involved, and in New Zealand they do long division backwards or, I dunno. The computer here says it is Thursday. I'll take it's word and be done with the whole affair.

Last night after checking into my hotel, I went out to explore the city a bit. Lot of devastation, pretty sad... I wanted to take photos, but it seemed a bit inappropriate to sit around and take photos of the rubble. The earthquake wrecked this town, and it shows just about everywhere. Still, the locals seem upbeat and reconstruction continues.

Last night I went to a pub and ordered a toastie with fries. I didn't know what a toastie was, but it had pineapple, cheese, and ham. I know, how could it not be awesome? Turns out it was just a grilled cheese, a fucking awesome grilled cheese. Bottom line is I don't understand anything anyone says here before I have four or five beers in me. Shuttle Shelly told me that I would fall in love with accent here, but it really just confuses the hell out of me. I guess that sums up my love life for the past 28 years anyway, so she's probably not far off.

I get my equipment issued today, and leave for the ice tomorrow morning. I'll try and take some photos that don't suck before I fly out, but don't hold me to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment